Leaderboard
728x15

Tawny Time - on 8th June, 2015

Large Rectangle
It's been nearly three weeks since my last post, mainly because of a ten-day trip to Scotland (which should feature in my next post) and processing the photos from that trip.

Last month, I invested around seven and a half hours at a known Tawny Owl location, without any results, so a tip-off from a good friend (thank you!) about another Tawny location just had to be investigated, using my car as a hide.

I hadn't been there long before I heard one of the birds (a male) calling and then a female also started to call. The calls of the male got closer and the Blackbirds started making a fuss, so I sat there in eager anticipation. My first sighting was when one of the birds flew overhead and up the road ahead of me and disappeared into a tree about 150 metres away.

I'd been there for a couple of hours before one of the birds flew into a tree about 50 metres from me, where it sat for a minute or so before flying towards me and over my head. Sadly, it was against white cloud, with a branch in the way. This is the best that I could manage.

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco) (female?) - Leicestershire
After about an hour, both birds came from behind me and went straight into the same tree. Frustratingly, their position was awful, as you can see from the following.

Tawny Owls (Strix aluco) (male and female) - Leicestershire
They both sat there for a couple of minutes and then flew back towards me, one passing over my head and the other flying into the back of a tree, only about 12 metres away. It popped up where I was not expecting it and I only managed to fire off two frames before it was off again. Sadly, my camera was still set for the birds in the 50 metre tree but, with a bit of work, I've managed to sort out these two frames, during which the bird moved its head a little. This is my favourite of the two.

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco) - Leicestershire
Around 15 minutes later one of the birds was back in the 50 metre tree again, but this time a little better placed than previously.

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco) - Leicestershire
It then flew up the road to a tree around 150 metres away and this was my last sighting.

Tawny Owl (Strix aluco) - Leicestershire
I hung around for another half an hour, but there were no further sightings. It had been an extremely interesting and enjoyable four and a half hours, even if the photographic results are not up to scratch! My undying thanks to my informant for the tip-off!

Thank you for dropping by.
Banner