Leaderboard
728x15

A Visit to Ketton Quarry - on 5th May, 2017

Large Rectangle
John had been unavailable for our semi-regular Thursday afternoon out on 4th, due to one of his dogs being unwell. We'd tentatively postponed our excursion until the following day but, in the event,  John didn't feel confident enough to leave the dog on the Friday either, so I set off late-morning for Ketton Quarry in Rutland in the hope of finding some butterflies, snakes and lizards to photograph. However, the weather looked questionable as, although it was sunny, there was a stiff breeze blowing.

I took the usual countrified route and, stopping at one of my Little Owl sites, found a Red-legged Partridge to photograph.

Red-legged  Partridge (Alectoris rufa)
Due to the windy conditions I was not surprised that the only Little Owl I saw was tucked well in at my Site No.34.

Little Owl (Athene noctua) - my Site No.34
 Further up the road a Meadow Pipit was on a roadside post.

Meadow Pipit (Anthus pratensis)
I arrived at Ketton Quarry just before mid-day, and took the decision to have half my picnic lunch before setting off into the site.

Suitably refreshed, as I entered  the site I noticed that the leaves of the Twayblade Orchids were showing well. As I was hoping for some close-up work on butterflies, I took a shot of a dandelion head to check my settings. I found that I rather liked the results, so I kept one of the photos.

Dandelion sp. - Ketton Quarry
I spent some time in the  area which can be good for lizards and snakes, and also butterflies at times. In spite of it being nicely sheltered from the wind, it came up with nothing, so I headed up to an area which is a good place for Green Hairstreak butterfly at the right time of year. I found one almost immediately at the start of the usual hedgeline (also nicely sheltered and in the sun) but it stayed high in a bush and I couldn't get closer than around 3 metres.

Green Hairstreak (Callophrys rubi) - Ketton Quarry
I continued along the hedgeline and, near the far end, found an extremely obliging specimen.


Green Hairstreak (Callophrys rubi) - Ketton Quarry
For those of you unfamiliar with this tiny, but beautiful, butterfly, it is the only green butterfly found in UK . It is only just over half an inch (1.5 cm) from head to wing-tip. I've yet to find one settle with its wings open, but the upper side of the wings is a milk-chocolate brown.

Also in this area were a couple of Holly Blue butterflies. These are a bit bigger than the Green Hairstreak, but still very small. This one represents the female of the species, with its dark wing-tips. Sadly, this one also kept its distance.

Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) (female) - Ketton Quarry
Having spent some time here, I set off down into the adjacent hollow. Nothing of note was found here, but I did manage some shots of a female Brimstone butterfly and a Bee-fly.


Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (female) - Ketton Quarry
Dark-edged Bee-fly (Bombylius major) - Ketton Quarry
On my way out of this area, I stopped at the hedge again, and took more shots of the Green Hairstreak and a Holly Blue (this time a male) which was a little more obliging. I tried getting a head-on image of the Green Hairstreak, but it had a very strange behavioural pattern - as I approached, it quickly turned from head-on to side-on. When I backed off it switched back again. I tried this many times - each time with the same result! In the second hairstreak image, you can just detect the brown of the upper wing surface.


Green Hairstreak (Callophrys rubi) - Ketton Quarry
Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) (male) - Ketton Quarry
I next set off into an area which can be good for skipper butterflies, but none were seen. I only took some shots of a day-flying moth - the Common Heath.

Common Heath (Ematurga atomaria) - Ketton Quarry
On my way back towards the entrance, I stopped to shoot a male Brimstone.

Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhamni) (male) - Ketton Quarry
As my return journey took me past the hedge that had been so rewarding, I had a quick look once more, and took some more shots. The first was of a wasp!

Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris) - Ketton Quarry
The second was of the male Holly Blue as, so far that day,  I'd not managed to capture the underside of this butterfly.

Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) (male) - Ketton Quarry
I headed back to the area that I'd started in, which I believe is known as 'The Barbecue' to local enthusiasts. I'd almost given up when I found my first Dingy Skipper of the year. This butterfly is even smaller than the Green Hairstreak.


Dingy Skipper (Erynnis tages) (male) - Ketton Quarry
I had one last-ditch attempt to find some lizards, visiting a narrow gully where I'd seen lizards several times in the past, but there was a cold wind blasting up the gully, so I gave up, having the rest of my picnic lunch at 16h30, before I headed for home! 

Thus ended another rather rewarding, and highly enjoyable, day

Thank you for dropping by.
 
Banner