Leaderboard
728x15

Ketton Quarry - on 30th June, 2017

Large Rectangle
Another retrospective blog post - this one concerning one of the several excellent Butterfly Walks led by Sarah Proud for the benefit of the volunteers at Rutland Water.

I've been to Ketton quite a few times, and it is a place I love - I just wish it was closer to home! This day we were to be blessed with good weather, after a few wet days. The meeting time of 09h00 meant a relatively early start for me as I'm around two hours away from this location.

We soon had one of our target species in sight - the wonderful Marbled White. This one was a male.

Marbled White (Melanargia galathea) (male) - Ketton Quarry
We had many other sightings of this species - here are a few more images:-



Marbled White (Melanargia galathea) (female) - Ketton Quarry

Marbled White (Melanargia galathea) (male) - Ketton Quarry
Marbled White (Melanargia galathea) (pair mating - female on top) - Ketton Quarry
There were a number of other butterfly species around, and I managed to photograph a few. Here's a selection:-

Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus) - Ketton Quarry

Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus) - Ketton quarry
Small Skipper (Thymelicus sylvestris) - Ketton Quarry
We saw several day-flying Cinnabar moths. Here's one:-

Cinnabar (Tyria jacobaeae) - Ketton Quarry
Two species of fritillary butterfly were there. The first seen was Silver-washed Fritillary, which I have never before photographed.



Silver-washed Fritillary (Argynnis paphia) - Ketton Quarry
 More numerous, however, were the Dark Green Fritillaries.





Dark Green Fritillary (Argynnis aglaja) - Ketton Quarry
Ketton Quarry is also known for its orchids. I've tried to learn a bit about orchids, but so far find that I fail miserably when it comes to identification of the Spotted/Marsh/Fragrant Orchids. Here are a few that I'll just call A, B, C or D. I suspect that they were all colour variants of Common Spotted Orchid (yes, I omitted to make a note of the leaves!), but I'd be grateful for any advice.

Orchid A - Ketton Quarry
Orchid B - Ketton Quarry

Orchid C - Ketton Quarry
Orchid D - Ketton Quarry
I do know, however, that just before we set off back to the start point we were shown Bee Orchid.

Bee Orchid (Ophrys apifera) - Ketton Quarry
I take this opportunity to thank Sarah for yet another splendid Butterfly Walk.

Thank you for dropping by. I'm not sure what my next post will be about.

Banner