Leaderboard
728x15

The Fieldfare Invasion - 1st to 4th March, 2018

Large Rectangle
Thursday 1st March, 2018

Most years we have one or two visits by one to three Fieldfare to our small suburban garden in Leicestershire. This is usually at the beginning of winter, when we still have berries on our Rowan tree. It was, therefore, somewhat of a surprise when the spell of extremely cold weather (commonly referred to as "the Beast from the East") hit UK on 1st March that we had a Fieldfare arrive in our garden and take the last few shrivelled berries on the Rowan that had been rejected by the resident Blackbirds.
 
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 1st March

I quickly took a couple of apples from our fruit bowl, cut them in half, and put them out on the snow on the ground. Almost immediately, more Fieldfare arrived.

The apples were being fought over and we needed more, so I went out to Packington Stores to buy some. Whilst there, I asked the proprietor, Peter, if he had any old apples that were past their prime that I could feed to the birds. He hadn't, but said he could get me some early the next morning when he went to market, and they'd be in the shop at 07h00!

By the end of the day, my counts of Fieldfare numbers present had peaked at 14. Here are a few images from that day.






Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 1st March
Friday 2nd March, 2018

I was out early to visit Packington Stores to get the apples. Peter offered me two boxes - one more than half full with (I guess) around 60 to 70 apples in, and one with around 40 apples in. I chose the one with less apples and was charged next to nothing for these.

Having got home, I cut in half around a dozen or so and placed them at various positions around the garden in the hope of minimising competitive squabbles. The Fieldfare came in greater numbers and, by mid-day, I was having to replenish the offerings.

At one point I managed to count 33 Fieldfare in the garden, but I suspect that there were more than this! Here are a few from this second day.






Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 2nd March
Saturday 3rd March, 2018

The snow was starting to disappear and Fieldfare numbers were down - at last some of the other birds that usually visit our garden were able to get a look-in! On this day we peaked at just 8 Fieldfare.



Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 3rd March
Sunday 4th March, 2018

There was no doubt that the Fieldfare invasion was almost over.  We peaked at just 6 birds and by the afternoon there was just one left, then that one departed too. All we were left with was the remains of a lot of apples, masses of what must have been Fieldfare poo, but which looked like stewed apple pulp that was turning brown, and some wonderful memories of what is never likely to ever be repeated! It was amazing while it lasted! Here's a shot of the last bird to be with us.

Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris) - our garden on 4th March
At this point in time, I have no idea what my next blog post will feature.

Thank you for dropping by.

Banner