Leaderboard
728x15

Oakthorpe Colliery - on 16th January, 2018

Large Rectangle
For various reasons, I've done virtually no birdwatching for the past couple of weeks, other than observe the birds in my garden during foul weather. However, I thought I'd better do a blog post, just 'to keep the pot boiling'. So here goes -

Approximately 1 mile (1.5 km) from my home is the site of the old Oakthorpe Colliery. This has been transformed into something of a wildlife haven, although I was concerned recently that people were shooting next to the car park. Up until very recently there have been bird feeding stations at each end of the car park. However, I found when I visited on 16th January that the station at the north end of the car park had been dismantled and a new station installed only a few metres from the station in the south-west corner of the car park. I'm not sure of the reason for this move, but it seems to have had an effect on what species are visiting the feeders. 

I had to bide my time for a while in a rather awkward position for photography as a car had parked right beside the new feeding station and the occupants gone off for a walk. After about an hour they returned and departed in their car and I was able to move my car, which I used as a hide, into a more favourable position. 

In its previous position, the feeding station used to regularly attract Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker,  Nuthatch, and the occasional Willow Tit (a bit scarce in these parts these days). However, on this occasion, the first three of these species only made nervous approaches without stopping to feed, and Willow Tit was not seen at all. Hopefully this will change when the birds get used to the new set-up.

It was good to see a Yellowhammer approach the feeders, although it didn't stop to feed. This used to be a regular at this site in winter, although I hadn't seen one here for some time and wondered if they'd gone.

The weather and light were not great, but here are some images from that session. I hope you like Tits!




Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus) - Oakthorpe Colliery

Coal Tit (Periparus ater) - Oakthorpe Colliery


Great Tit (Parus major) - Oakthorpe Colliery

Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus) - Oakthorpe Colliery
The Woodpecker stayed well-hidden. I think that it realised I was there!

Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major) (male) - Oakthorpe Colliery
 Sadly, the Yellowhammer stayed distant and partly obscured by a branch, but I was pleased to get any sort of shot of this bird.



Yellowhammer (Emberiza citrinella) (male) - Oakthorpe Colliery
I know that some birders are not too fond of Grey Squirrels, but I consider them to be charming creatures - it's not their fault that someone decided to introduce them into UK!



Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) - Oakthorpe Colliery
 
2018, Week 03 - 15th to 21st January
Garden List - Week 03 - 15/01/2018 to 21/01/2018 

It was a quite interesting week in the garden, no doubt helped by the fall of snow we had. The total number of species setting foot down increased from the 22 of the previous two weeks and reached 24 species.

Jackdaw put in a brief appearance once again, and I just managed to spot a Redwing in our Rowan before it departed. A male Siskin has also been visiting on some days - I hope that he attracts a female!

The male Sparrowhawk has started making a nuisance of himself again. He's not catching much at all, but causing the birds to flee in panic, sometimes flying into the window glass. Usually I manage to rescue them, but I did have a male Chaffinch break its neck today.

In a few days time I shall be away in Scotland (a solo visit) for a week , so I am not sure what or when my next post will be.



Banner